I hate to break it to you, but it's Monday! We had a good weekend, very relaxing. Mike had Friday off and we literally did not leave the house the entire 3 days! We grilled out Saturday night. We served up steaks, baked potatoes, blue cheese wedge salads and for dessert Apple Pie. No wait. It should be APPLE PIE!!!!
This is by far the best apple pie I've ever had! My husband Mike's reaction to this pie was priceless! I really wish I had it on video! He says and I quote, "This is the best apple pie I've EVER had in my life!"
And trust me there's been a lot of pie in that pie hole!!
So I wanted to share this with you, and with the holidays coming up it would make a great dessert to have for your family get togethers or to take to a holiday party!
Dutch Apple Pie With Oatmeal Streusel Topping
(Recipe at end of post)
I used 6 large Granny Smith apples. These things were huge. This picture is after I used 2 of them! The best part of this pie is the lemon zest in the topping! That just sends it over the top!
Peel and core the apples. I sliced them thin, which I think allows the flavors to penetrate the apple slices.
Next mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and here's the kicker I added pumpkin pie spice!! Toss with apples till all of them are coated with this yummy mixture!
Spray a deep pie pan with vegetable spray and press one ready made pie crust into bottom. Place in freezer. Mix together streusel topping. Fill with apple mixture. Cut one 1/2 stick of butter in chunks and dot top with butter.
Cover loosely with foil and place in 425 degree oven for 10 mins. While baking mix up the streusel topping.
Combine flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, oats and the zest of 1 whole lemon. Mix well and then cut in 1 stick of butter until crumbly. I ended up just using my clean hands. When pie comes out of the oven pat streusel topping on top. Bake for 1 hour or until pie is bubbly and golden brown on top!
Mike had it for dessert last night and again for breakfast this morning served cold!
He stills says its the best pie he's ever eaten!!
1 9-inch ready made pie crust
6 large granny smith apples- peeled, cored and sliced thin
2 Tablespoons flour
2/3 Cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 stick butter
3/4 Cup flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup Oats
zest of 1 lemon
1 stick butter
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray deep pie pan with vegetable spray and pat out ready made pie crust into bottom of pan. Place crust into the freezer
1. Prepare filling. Place apples slices in large bowl. In separate bowl combine 2 Tablespoons flour, white sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice. Mix well, then add to apples. Toss until evenly coated.
2. Remove pie shell from freezer. Pour apples into pie shell and dot with 1/2 stick butter. Cover loosely but do not seal with foil.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
4. While pie is baking make streusel topping. In a medium bowl combine 3/4 Cup of flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, brown sugar, oats, and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly, then cut in 1 stick softened butter with fork or hands. Until mixture is crumbly. Remove pie from oven and pat topping on top.
5. Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Bake and additional 1 hour or until pie is bubbly and golden brown on top. Cover top loosely with foil to prevent excess browning.